Life 2.012 SP1

musings and at times raving of the incoherency of the world to my mind

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Belgium via Rotterdam


I have been wanting to check out Belgium because I had not been there. So, on my 2 days off last week, I went down. Not that I am a last minute kind of a guy, but I could not find a room in Belgium for decent scratch so I stayed in Rotterdam. Which is cool cause I like Rotterdam. I did not get to do too much in Rotterdam other than wander around for something to eat and check out the cool view. A bag of chips along the river is a great way to pass the night. I always seem to go hungry in that city.

I spent a day each in Antwerp and Brussels. I had a great time in both cities. Antwerp is like a typical European city that I have been to. Though it is a bit different than the ones that I have been in lately. There is not a wealth of canals there, though there was once upon a time. I wandered upon a construction site where they had unearthed an couple hundred or so year-old bridge. Also, I checked out the ship museum in a castle that is about the oldest building in Antwerp. The river is a cool place to hang out. There is a second level walkway to check out the view.

Brussels was a bit different than I expected. There are hills in that city. I have not seen any of those since being in Holland. I got to check out a cathedral there; St. Michael and St. Gudula. It is very big and ornate. There is a lot of awe inspiring things in there as well as some inpressionist artwork of the Bible. I really enjoyed the transfiguration. In both Antwerp and Brussels, there are many churches to check out. Also, there are many fountains and statues to check out. In addition to the nice view, Belgian chocolate is quite good as well. The central train station in Brussels is interesting. It is in the middle of the city, underground. It looks like any other building, but there is a train hub under there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home