Life 2.012 SP1

musings and at times raving of the incoherency of the world to my mind

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Concert, a New Life

Well, I went to a concert at the House of Blues. The last concert I went to was there also. I learned some valuable lessons. I guess that I have been trying to connect to my former self. Both of these concerts involved bands that I listened to in high school. I went to many concerts in high school but not to all of the bands that I had liked.

Most recently was Hole. First off, I should have 'googled' Courtney Love, as opposed to Hole for obvious reasons. Things have changed. Live Through This, an album from Hole, is the album that I have listened to the most. (The second most is Canadian Amp by Neko Case) When I was in high school, Hole was an all girl band. You can call them punk or even alternative as was a popular term at the time. Maybe similar to (or not) Veruca Salt and Letters to Cleo, also excellent bands.

Well, I was surprised to see the differences. Actually, the first thing that I was surprised by was the people that showed to the show. I expected mostly folks such as myself, of course some a few years older that were old enough to be in the clubs that Courtney and Kurt played together in. But there was a mix of folks. Some a bit old and some young. There were some young girls there and I wonder how they got turned on to the greatness that is (or was) Hole. I expected to get chatty with a lady or two but was surprised with that denial; which was soon explained. See, the closest person to a girl that the band has is Courtney; all the other members are guys. Also, the musical style was different. No longer punk or alternative but more hard rock. The closest thing to punk was that Courtney did not want to play her own songs; at least the ones that made her famous. After the first three songs in the set, two of which were covers, she cussed the crowd for wanting to hear the old school. She of course played quite a few of these as well as some more covers and some newer songs. She purports to be quite proud of her new album. The other shocker was that Courtney now bats for the pink team. This explained a lot. She has garnered a bunch of new followers just through this admission. (also explained why I was striking out with the ladies)

Overall, it was a great show. I just wish that I was more prepared for it. Much more prepared. It seems that due to financial matters, the train schedule has been cut back. However, nobody bothered to tell me. I spent quite a while waiting for a train that was not coming.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home