Life 2.012 SP1

musings and at times raving of the incoherency of the world to my mind

Monday, February 19, 2007

They Did What??

I had some time on my hands this weekend so I went out in search of a shopping establishment of my choice. I am not advertising for them so I will not insert a name or plug for said company. I have been looking for such a store for a week or two . I tried Google maps and they listed one in town. So I drove over there. To my dismay it was long closed. So I tried an online yellow pages. I got multiple listings that just did not exist. In one instance, there is no such street number on that road. In another, it is just a field and has been for a very long time. It just boggles my mind why they have such incorrect and misleading information.


Whilst driving around, I saw a church; coincidently I saw countless churches. This church had an interesting name, Overcoming Faith. It is a nondenominational church. Hence it makes one to wonder whether the first word is a verb or adjective. They could be focused on faith and the building up of such as the faith overcomes one. Or, they could be focused on dismantling basic faith in Jesus Christ such as get over (or past) faith. It could go both ways and may possibly go the second way. This may be even more reinforced after reading the next paragraph.


I saw this humongous church aside the highway. It had a semi-trailer for an advertisement in the parking lot and the trailer looked small in comparison to the rest. The advertisement was for some gospel music singing to go on that night. I enjoy such so I decided to go. Coincidently, the radio was promoting for the show. After the morning service, the radio station was on location broadcasting and whatnot. In the naming of the church and giving its location the value of the property was given. Like it all went together. Now, I should have been a bit skeptical at this point. But I was interested in the coming praising of the Lord and looked past some of the foibles of human-types. I was taken aback when I went to the church that evening. They were charging admission to get into church that evening. I felt that this was terrible! Charging folks to get into church?


In Acts 19:23-41, Paul is prevented from speaking and taken by the local leaders to give an account. His open preaching of the Gospel prevented certain craftsmen from producing wealth from common people's religion.


Acts 8:18-24 tells of where Simon was rebuked for wanting to buy spiritual gifts from God.



Note: The church mentioned in paragraph two clarifies the grammatical usage of the first word in their title. They neither choose adjective or verb but something more confusing. They describe like it is a verb but label it differently so they can be straightforward without being overtly misleading.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home