Life 2.012 SP1

musings and at times raving of the incoherency of the world to my mind

Monday, May 15, 2006

Biking in Amsterdam

Well, moving around Amsterdam can be quite interesting. I remeber the first time that I was here. On the first day during rush hour, the traffic was seemingly mindless. It was a colorful parade of cars, mopeds, bicycles, pedestrians, and yes, even boats. Well, it is not as bad as Tegucigalpa, Honduras; but that is another story. So, I finally had time and climate weather to go for a bike ride yesterday. I rode around to Vondel Park.

It was a nice ride over to the park, though I found out quickly that event hough the city is relatively flat, a multi-speed bike would be very nice. I think that I have only seen one of those, which coincidentally looked a lot like my bike back home. The one that I have here is a nice, green spray paint special with a duct tape chain guard that criminals would leave alone. The bikes here look rather ghetto, no offense to the Dutch or anyone from the ghetto. You see these beauties everywhere, no really, everywhere in Amsterdam. In front of every building, lamppost, and on the rail along every canal. I will post a picture of the mass of bikes outside of central station. There is a 3 story bike garage and bikes are still lined up around the corner.

Back to my bike ride. Vondel park is very beautiful. There were many people there hanging out, catching some rays, rollerblading, jogging, biking, playing soccer, tennis, and even a violin. There were people having a good time with their friends, family, and children running around playing. I rode around the park 5 times and then headed home. Later, I rode around Amsterdam, taking the scenic route home. This is a great city for a bike ride or even a walk.

Bicycle parking outside of Central Station

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home